Being on stage and sending the audience into a state of communal melodic ecstasy with just a guitar like some kind of a God is something that many of us have fantasized about. But for some who have dedicated a lot of time and effort in learning how to sing and play guitar, the dream of performing on stage has become a wonderful and meaningful reality. Kate Powers is one of these people who continues to entertain crowds on a regular basis with just a guitar, her alluring voice, and maybe a little bit of charm. But like with everything else that’s truly worthwhile, playing great music in front of crowds didn’t just happen overnight for Kate.
On this episode of Do This With Your Life, we’ll be conversing with Kate about her early experiences of singing and enjoying music, Kate’s fateful decision to pick up a guitar while in college, and how her continued dedication and love of singing and performing has led her to where she is today.
If you’ve ever been interested in singing, playing a musical instrument, or taking your musical talents to the next level and playing in front of audiences, then you’ll definitely want to check out this episode to see how it can be done. Kate is also generous enough to play a few songs for us, so find a comfortable place to sit back, relax, and enjoy the performance.
Sing and Play Guitar – Kate Powers – Highlights:
– Kate performs Dolly Parton’s ‘Jolene’
– How did Kate get into music?
– The hosts have no idea what ‘show’ choir is
– When did Kate start learning guitar?
– Kate’s first songs on the guitar
– Kate’s day-job and night-job
– What was Kate’s first ‘real’ paid solo gig like?
– Does Kate get nervous before a gig or while on stage?
– What kind of music does Kate listen to?
– How Does Kate decide which songs to play at each venue?
– Is performing live music a viable option for making money?
– Kate’s drummer, Dave, also known as ‘Pimp Juice’
– Where does Kate play now and her plans for the future
– The infusion of R&B and Hip-Hop into Kate’s sets
– Do Kate and Dave advertise for their gigs?
– What advice can Kate give to those who are thinking about singing or picking up a guitar?
– Kate performs Gnarls Barkley’s ‘Crazy’
– Kate performs Coldplay’s ‘The Scientist’
Want to Help Us? Please Follow and Support the Podcast