“You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take” – Wayne Gretzky
The fear of failure or embarrassment is something that we have all experienced in our lives at some point. These fears can be crippling and can prevent us from getting the most out of life, but there are some who are able to push past any fears in order to accomplish truly amazing feats.
Our guest for today is one such remarkable person who continues to overcome fears of failure and embarrassment, and as a result, has lived an extraordinary life that others might find hard to believe. Marc Macaspac is one of those guys that has truly ‘done it all’ and continues to do it all each and every day, not letting the fear of failure or embarrassment stop him. If Marc wants to do something, he’ll do it.
On this episode of Do This With Your Life, Marc speaks with us about his childhood in Los Angeles following the immigration of his family from the Philippines, his life touring as a crew member for famous rock groups Mazzy Star and the Rolling Stones, his life as a helicopter pilot in the US Army and his experience of war in Iraq. Marc then speaks with us about his life after the military and how he continued to pursue a variety of interests and still does so. From moving to Europe and getting his Master’s Degree at the age of 42 to becoming a full-time teacher to marathon running to becoming proficient at archery and biathlon to playing guitar and hosting his own open mic nights, Marc shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
If you’ve ever been afraid to try something for fear of failure or fear of how others might think of you or maybe you feel stuck in your life and are looking for a dramatic change, then you’ll find this episode to be inspiring and helpful in giving you that little push you need. Marc can show us all that it is possible to overcome fears and live the kind of life you really want. Life really has no limit and you really can do anything you set your mind to. All you need to do is take that first step.
If you do find this episode useful and would like to support the podcast, then you can become our patron through Patreon, subscribe to our YouTube channel, or you can follow us on SoundCloud, Facebook, or Twitter.
Take The First Step – Marc Macaspac – Highlights:
– Marc’s experience growing up in Los Angeles after his family’s immigration from the Philippines
– Marc’s experience touring with Mazzy Star and the Rolling Stones
– How Marc showed Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighers what a digital camera was
– Marc’s experience of joining the military as an Army helicopter pilot before 9-11
– Marc’s experience of war in Iraq, first as an Army helicopter pilot, then as a military contractor
– How war changed Marc and the lessons he learned
– Marc’s advice for those wanting to leave military life
– What Marc did after spending most of his 30s in Iraq
– What are Marc’s biggest fears and how does he get over them?
– What else does Marc do? Or better yet, what doesn’t Marc do?
– Marc’s parting advice for getting over the fear of failure and how to take that first step
Want to Help Us? Please Follow and Support the Podcast