“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” – Buddha
Staying in the same unfulfilling job for that same paycheck day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, and decade after decade is the safe thing to do, but is it the right thing? Is it really worth giving up that security for a chance at doing what you were really meant to be doing with your life?
If you’re unsure of where your life should be, then a simple walk through the forest can help. Who knows; in the process you may discover your true nature, who you were born to be and what you were born to do. For our guest, Vitek Slezak, this is exactly what happened.
On this episode of Do This With Your Life, we speak with Vitek about his short tenure in the corporate world, chasing after the paycheck and trying to do his best to fit in with the company and its culture. It didn’t take long before Vitek knew that he had to get out and find another path. So what did Vitek do? He took a hike, literally.
Vitek’s love of nature led him out of his desk job and into a world of his own creation as the founder of a successful tour company that takes tourists to the beautiful area near his hometown in the North of Bohemia, Czech Republic. But, Vitek’s path to starting and growing his own successful business wasn’t a smooth one. In fact, Vitek failed spectacularly and had to go back to his old job. For many, a first big failure would be enough to stunt any thoughts at going for it again, but Vitek didn’t quit. He studied why he failed the first time, learned from his mistakes, and with a little bit of luck, is now following his true path.
On the show today, Vitek speaks with us about his time in school and at his corporate job, his first time leaving the job and going for a 2,000 mile hike across the Carpathian mountains, his first big failure and needing to ask for his old job back, and finally, his second attempt at doing what he was meant to be doing all along.
If you’re stuck in a job you don’t like and need some motivation to seek your true path, are going through a failure and are on the brink of losing all hope, or perhaps you simply enjoy stories about people discovering their passion, then you’re going to enjoy this episode of Do This With Your Life.
Highlights – Discover Your Nature – Vitek Slezak:
– How did Vitek ace his college entrance exam?
– Vitek’s university experience
– Vitek’s experience in the corporate world
– What are Vitek’s values and how did those values create internal conflict while at his job?
– Vitek’s advice about pausing & reflecting and how he uses nature for reflection
– Vitek’s idea for a ‘big walk’ across the Carpathian mountains
– How did Vitek pack for his 2,000-mile hike
– Vitek’s first big challenges while on his hike and how he felt after the third day of pushing forward
– What Vitek learned on his hike through the Carpathians
– How a sudden death in Vitek’s family changed everything
– How Vitek used his values and passion for nature to create his business
– What is Bohemian Switzerland?
– Why did Vitek fail at his first attempt at starting his business?
– Vitek’s experience of going back to his old job and advice about not burning your bridges
– How a review from a previous tour customer got Vitek’s foot in the door
– Vitek’s second try at his business and the things he did to succeed the second time
– Vitek’s vision for his business and parting advice